Why should you consider solar power?
2 Heritage Drive, 8th Floor, Quincy, MA 02171-2119
Tel: 800.336.0990 • Fax: 617.557.6687
No dues dollars are
ever used to market MTA
Editor: Elizabeth A. Bejoian
The MTA Advantage is published three times a year as
a supplement to MTA Today by MTA Benefits, Inc.
ave you been seeing more houses with solar panels on their roofs
lately? What do those homeowners know that you don’t?
Perhaps they’re aware of the savings they can realize. Installing a solar power
system can save you $1,000 to $2,000 per year on average on your utility bill.
Or maybe they realize that going solar will help combat climate change.
Others may be looking to increase the value of their homes. Owning rather
than leasing a solar power system can increase the resale value of a home
The reasons could include all of the above, along with
the fact that usually the house is ideally located for
solar panels if the roof faces south, east or west.
Whatever the reason, demand is growing. A greater
number of people have been researching solar
power. When they do, they learn that purchasing a
system can be much more affordable than they
thought. Some reasons include:
• A federal tax credit of 30 percent of the
• A Massachusetts state tax credit of $1,000.
• A Massachusetts state incentive — solar renewable
energy credits can be worth $1,500 or more per year for 10 years.
• A low-interest loan of 4. 25 percent for 10 years, offered by the state of
Massachusetts to new solar customers.
The state’s solar renewable energy credits program, which offers
incentives for homeowners to purchase a system, will expire on Dec. 31.
The state-funded loan program also has a finite allotment, which could be
exhausted by autumn.
MTA members who want to jump on the solar bandwagon — or at least begin
to research providers — should start with one of MTA Benefits’ new programs
through American Solar Partners.
In addition to providing members with a 10 percent
discount on their solar purchases, there are other
important reasons to consider ASP:
• Only American-made solar modules are used.
• All systems are installed by IBEW local union
• Systems come with a 25-year quality assurance.
• ASP staff will educate members about solar power
and help them determine whether it’s right for them.
• ASP will do a free site assessment.
• Members receive information from staff who are on
salary, not commission.
Let American Solar Partners help you reap the benefits of installing a solar
power system. Call 914.699.3366, visit americansolarpartners.com/mta/
or e-mail email@example.com. Be sure to mention that you are
an MTA member.
MTA Benefits has a brand new website
If you haven’t already done so, visit www.mtabenefits.com to see our new and
improved website! You’ll find an intuitive design along with updated functionality.
Our site is now easy to use on mobile devices, which is sure to improve your
experience. The website has everything you need, including:
• Discounted theme park tickets
• Monthly giveaways that run from August through June
• Travel discounts
• 350,000 nationwide discounts from Access, including the My Deals mobile app
• Free magazine subscription
• BJ’s Wholesale Club discount
Plus, you’ll find all of the benefit programs that will help you save on insurance,
health and wellness, financial needs, wireless and more!